What I'm Reading Now

Alexandre Dumas - The Count of Monte Cristo
J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Dan Brown - Digital Fortress

4/100

Sunday, August 7, 2011

1: J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone


So for those of you who haven't read Harry Potter, you should probably go smash your head in with a bezoar.

That being said, I'm not going to recap the book because there's no reason to since every living person over the age of 1 has read it. But this is the first time I've read the British version of the book (though I've read the American version like 20 times), and even though the differences were minor (mostly adding 'u's), I liked the fact that Dudley's new word was "Shan't" instead of "Won't," as it sounds cooler.

Also, I noticed that Quirrel says Voldemort's name near the end, and it confused me. Is that in the American version? Because one of the key things in the rest of the books is that nobody says "Voldemort," especially his followers. But this does remind me of A Very Potter Musical where Voldemort tells Quirrel that they're past the point where he has to keep calling him "The Dark Lord."

So I lied...I'm going to do a recap.

So this short main character grows up in what is essentially a hole in the ground, raised by his uncle. He then meets an old wizard with a long gray beard who tells him that, for the next year, he's going to be on what is essentially an adventure. At first he's worried that he isn't up to the task, but with some help by his short friends, he manages to defeat the Dark Lord and destroy the One Ring. I mean Philosopher's Stone.

No comments:

free counters