What I'm Reading Now

Alexandre Dumas - The Count of Monte Cristo
J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Dan Brown - Digital Fortress

4/100

Sunday, August 28, 2011

4: Stieg Larsson - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo


So this is one of the books I started with, and it only took me a month to read it. It also occurs to me that I'm now still 4 books behind the schedule of 2 books per week that I originally wanted to keep.

So the basic idea of this book is that a journalist gets into trouble and needs to take a break from writing. Then this old rich guy decides to hire him as a private investigator for something that happened 37 years prior because it's been haunting him. Larsson is a good author, but there's too many clues that the main characters skip over like it was nothing. For instance, I figured out like 3/4 of the mystery before I was halfway done with the book. But despite all of that, there were a few twists that I never saw coming, and I appreciated that fact. A book is less fun when you know how it ends.

One other thing I didn't like was the way the author ended the book. He wrapped up the main plot just fine, but he left the plot of the characters hanging. It was more like the end of a television season than the end of a novel. And yeah, I know he had all 3 of these books finished before any of them were published, but it still kind of irks me.

But despite all of my griping, it was an enjoyable read. Especially the second half, which I read in 2 or 3 days after taking 25 to read the first half.

No comments:

free counters